10th August 2021 — The Stonyhurst College standard is flying high today to celebrate the achievements of the class of 2021.
- Stonyhurst 2021 International Baccalaureate (IB) highlights:
- 100% Diploma Programme pass rate compared to a world average of 85% (IBO, 2020)
- Our top scorer achieved 45 points (out of a maximum of 45 points) placing them in the top 0.5% of candidates worldwide and equivalent to 4A* at A level
- 71% of pupils achieved 36 or more points equivalent to 3As at A level
- A third of pupils achieved more than 40 points, placing them in the top 4%of candidates worldwide
- An average point score of 37.8, compared with the typical worldwide average of 31.3 (IBO, 2020)
- 100% pass rate for our IB Career-related Programme pupils
Stonyhurst 2021 A-Level highlights:
- 99% pass rate
- 55% of all candidates received all A*- A
- 81% of all candidates received A*- B
John Browne, Headmaster of Stonyhurst, said: “Many congratulations to all Rhetoric pupils on their achievements. Our young people, wonderfully supported by their staff and families, have done all that was asked of them and they have risen to the challenges magnificently. There are many stories of extraordinary endeavour and determination behind these amazing grades. The global diversity of university destinations and breadth of subjects to be studied demonstrate the ambition of our Stonyhurst students, now proud to call themselves OS. This has been a year of unprecedented challenge and these fine young people provide hope and inspiration for the future.’
Offers have been secured at a range of top UK Russell Group universities and prestigious universities worldwide including: Bristol (UK), Cardiff (UK); Courtauld Institute of Art (UK); Durham (UK); ESADE (Spain); ETH Zurich (Switzerland); Exeter (UK); Edinburgh (UK); IE University (Spain); Imperial College London (UK); Kings College London (UK); ICADE (Spain); Leeds (UK); London School of Economics (UK); Liverpool (UK); Loughborough (UK); Maastricht (Netherlands); Manchester (UK); Newcastle (UK); Reading (UK); Royal Northern College of Music (UK); St Andrews (UK); Sophia University (Japan); University College London (UK); University of St Gallen (Switzerland); Warwick (UK).
Courses include: Architecture; Art; Biomedical Science; Business, Innovation and Entrepreneurship; Chemistry; Computer Science; Criminology; Dentistry; Economics; Engineering; English; History of Art; International Management; Law; Liberal Arts; Marine Biology; Material Science and Engineering; Mathematics; Medicine; Music; Politics and International Relations; Politics, Philosophy and Economics; Philosophy; Physiotherapy; Psychology; Statistics, Economics and Finance.
Note to Editors
Stonyhurst is one of the UK's leading co-educational Catholic boarding and day schools for 3 – 18-year-olds. Founded in 1593, it is the oldest continuously active Jesuit school in the world. It has an 800-strong student body comprising the 500 pupils of Stonyhurst College plus the 300 pupils at its preparatory school, Stonyhurst St Mary’s Hall. Pupils come from throughout the United Kingdom as well as from abroad. The school offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma and Career-related Programmes in addition to UK public examinations. Boarding is available from the age of seven. The school is located on a 1,000-acre rural estate near Clitheroe in Lancashire.
For more information contact: Helen Eastham (H.Eastham@stonyhurst.ac.uk)