15th August 2019 — Thornton College students have achieved excellent results in their A Levels and Vocational Qualifications.
• Over 90% pass rate at A Level
• Almost 25% of all A Level grades at A* - A
• Almost half of all A Level grades at A* - B
• 100% of Vocational Awards graded at Distinction and Distinction* Level (A Distinction* is worth exactly the same number of UCAS points as an A* at A Level).
• Almost half of all EPQ grades at A*- A
• 100% of all EPQ grades at A* - C.
On releasing the results, Val Holmes, who has been Head Teacher at Thornton since last September, commented:
"We are a school which has at its heart the value of each individual and a belief in the importance of hard work and a desire to succeed. These superb results are proof that, at Thornton, success at the highest level is achievable across the range of our educational opportunities. I am, of course, tremendously proud of all the girls and wish them all the happiness they deserve in the next stage of their education.
"This is a huge achievement for all the students and the school. The Sixth Form which was only opened in 2016 is already thriving with growing numbers, a glowing reputation and excellent results."
Thornton College is a non-selective school which means that students do not have to pass an academic examination to enter. All students receive an exceptional education, irrespective of their academic ability when they join, ensuring that every child is stretched and challenged to perform at her best and, above all, achieves personal success.