This is a demanding but fulfilling role, encompassing a variety of areas including finance, strategy, health and safety, GDPR, HR, catering and facilities and much besides.
The successful candidate will be supported by two assistants in carrying out a range of finance and HR related tasks.
Candidates will have a genuine interest in and empathy for education but prior experience of working in a school is not essential. Above all, we are looking for a Bursar who can work harmoniously with a wide range of people.
Qualifications and Previous Experience
A reasonable level of financial experience and acumen is required for the role. An accountancy qualification is not essential, though would be helpful. General experience required is inter alia:
• Business experience
• Ability to oversee production of budgetary estimates, reports, cash flows and financial and statistical summaries
• Ability to oversee appropriate book-keeping including the preparation of final accounts
• Familiarity with appropriate procedures at meetings
• Some knowledge of the law and practice relating to Income Tax, PAYE, benefits in kind and VAT
• Sufficient experience to be able to take responsibility for parental contracts, leasing of school properties and landlord responsibilities, commercial law, copyright and data protection
• Knowledge of investment procedures
• Some knowledge of building materials and of the details of construction of buildings and the causes of and remedies for defects in building.
• Some knowledge of rates, town and country planning, planning permission procedures and alterations and new buildings
• Ability to draw up specifications and plan for general repairs, minor alterations and decorations and to make estimates of costs
• Ability to oversee electrical and gas installations, metering and supply, central heating and hot water supply, protection of personnel and buildings from fire, domestic sanitation and sanitary fittings, energy management and conservation.
We can offer:
- A competitive salary
- On-site accommodation if required – from single accommodation to a large family home
- Contributory auto-enrolment pension scheme
- Discretionary school fee discount
- Use of the school’s facilities
- Employee Assistance Programme
We reserve the right to interview and offer to a strong candidate prior to the closing date. For this reason, early applications are advised.
Please apply by completing the application form which can be found on our website - www.westbournehouse.org/our-school/our-team/job-opportunities . CVs may be attached, but not in place of the application form. Please return completed applications to Robyn Aubrey at firstname.lastname@example.org.