The Grange School in Hartford, Cheshire currently have an exciting vacancy for a rowing coach position available to start in September 2020, working with designated year groups to be agreed upon appointment. You will be passionate about rowing and ideally possess a rowing coach and first aid qualification (training for suitable applicants may be provided). You will have experience of rowing and sculling, ideally in a school setting, be flexible and able to commit to working weekends, after school hours and during holiday periods.
Duties include coaching week days during PE and Games lessons, after school, Saturday mornings and some Sundays. You will also need to be available to attend regattas, heads, training camps and coach meetings. Duties will include practical coaching, planning, reporting and being part of the ongoing development of the whole rowing programme under the guidance of the Head of Rowing.
The appointed person will work under the guidance of the Head of Rowing in the day to day coaching and running of the rowing squads. This is an exciting period in the development of the rowing team, with a new state of the art training facility at the school and impressive fleet of boats at the two boathouses on the river Weaver.
We are looking for a team player who can bring energy, enthusiasm and cutting-edge coaching skills to inspire pupils to achieve their best. You should be flexible, ambitious and able to communicate diplomatically, while remaining focussed on the needs of individual participants. The appointee will be responsible for the ongoing development and retention of pupils of specified year groups within the rowing programme. This includes working with other coaches, both paid and voluntary to achieve a shared vision.
You should have excellent leadership and communication skills and have a professional approach in a demanding environment. The role interfaces with teaching staff, non-teaching staff, students and parents.
• To take a lead coaching role with designated age groups at training, camps and competitions.
• To fulfil the requirements as directed by the Head of Rowing (technical, tactical, physical and psychological)
• To work hours agreed upon appointment (typically afternoons, after school and Saturdays)
• Uphold the safety requirements of the rowing club.
• Display the utmost duty of care to all pupils.
• Help with offloading the trailer and rigging/derigging boats
• Ensure that the training programme is adhered to.
• Keep all training and attendance records up to date on the school system.
• Communication and liaison with the Head of Rowing and other coaches.
• Basic boat maintenance and rigging skills.
• Support pupils to balance their academic and sporting activities.
• Communication and liaison with parents.
• Contribute to the sporting activities within the wider PE department.
In addition to the rowing duties you will also be expected to:
• Support and contribute to the friendly and supportive ethos of the School, in relation to all School staff, users and visitors.
• Maintain the highest professional standards.
• Participate in appraisal and staff development.
• Carry out any other duty commensurate with the post as may be reasonably required by the line manager.
• To be familiar with the School and Sports Department handbooks and support all the School’s policies.
• To establish effective working relationships with professional colleagues and associated staff.
• To strive for personal and professional development through active involvement in the School’s Individual Performance Management procedures.
• Assist the ‘Most Able and Talented’ initiative and encourage applications for Sports scholarships at leading universities here and overseas
To apply for the role of Rowing Coach, please write a letter of application to support a fully completed application form and names of two referees to:
The Grange School
Please mark the envelope ‘FAO: Mrs Lynn Geary’ in the top left hand corner. Applications are also accepted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is 4pm on Friday 29th May 2020. Interview date to be confirmed. The appointment will commence in September.