Job Title: Finance Director
Job Reference No: 20-21032
Responsible to: Chief Operating Officer
Hours per week: Full time
Salary: £50,000 per annum
Closing date: 30th November 2020
Taunton School was founded in 1847. It is an independent day and boarding school with approximately 1,150 pupils, aged from 0 - 18 years, with circa 400 boarders. There are five Schools on site; a Nursery and Pre Prep, Preparatory, Senior and two International Schools. The School also has a commercial arm to the business and runs educational courses during the holiday periods as well as events and other activities. We aim to challenge, nurture and inspire young people to succeed in a global community.
Our School ethos is one of a shared responsibility and positive contribution from all to the life and work of this busy community. This is what makes Taunton School such a thriving, energetic and well-rounded Independent School. We offer a competitive package and an outstanding environment in which to work.
About the role
Taunton School requires a Director of Finance who will have overall responsibility for financial management and control of the School, its trading companies, trusts, charities and investments.
Key responsibilities of the role include (a full list of responsibilities is included in the Job Description):
• Maintain and develop the Strategic 10 Year Financial Plan in line with the School’s objectives
• Co-ordinate the Annual Budget, monthly forecasts, including financial modelling
• Managing the School’s cash flow and ensuring sufficient financing is in place
• Ensuring compliance with all tax and charity rules as they relate to the finance function
• Overseeing the Schools Investments
• To ensure that the CEO and COO are provided with all financial information, reports and assistance necessary for the efficient and effective strategic financial management of the School
• Attend Governors Finance and General Purposes and Investment committee meetings and any other meetings as required by the COO and provide the first draft minutes
• Responsibility for Audit, first draft of statutory accounts, Directors’ Report and adherence to financial regulations and good practice
• Oversee the payroll and pensions for circa 600 staff
• Manage a small finance team
The postholder will work in close co-operation with the COO and other members of the Support Staff Management Team and will have a day-to-day working relationship with departmental managers and budget holders. This is an operational role with management responsibility for 5 direct reports (sales ledger x 2, purchase ledger, enterprise accountant and payroll), with a wider leadership and management role on projects.
This search is for a qualified Accountant who is able to bring and implement new ideas to Taunton School. We expect the individual to be 5 years+ post qualification, with experience of managing a small team. The person’s current or previous role is likely to be as a Senior Finance Manager, Financial Controller, Head of Finance or Finance Director.
We are happy to consider candidates from all industries as the individual’s motivation to join the School is more important than their sector experience. Some charity sector experience could be an advantage but SORP reporting/regulations can be learnt whilst in the role. This individual must have experience in industry, rather than moving straight from an audit practice, in order to have the commercial/strategic exposure needed.
It is important that this role is considered as a full time position and requires someone onsite 5 days per week. The successful applicant should embrace the School’s ethos and will likely want to be part of the School for ethical rather than financial reasons, or through affiliation.
This role comes with the following benefits:
• 30 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
• School fee remissions
• Automatic enrolment in the School Pension Scheme (subject to eligibility criteria)
• Discounted membership of the School Sports Club
• Subsidised Health Cash Back Plan (upon completion of probation period)
• Free on-site parking
How to apply
For more information, please visit www.tauntonschool.co.uk/vacancies/. Please complete and submit a Taunton School application form and equal opportunities monitoring form accompanied with a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to email@example.com. Please note CVs alone will not be accepted.
Closing date for receipt of applications is midnight on 30th November 2020.
Taunton School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The offer of employment will be subject to a number of pre-employment checks including ID and Right to Work in the UK, satisfactory references and a successful enhanced DBS check.
Taunton School is an equal opportunities employer and sets out to be caring and reasonable in its approach to all staff; it values its staff and has been accredited with the Investors in People gold standard.