After the retirement of the current post-holder, St. Michael’s Church Of England Preparatory School seeks a new SENDCo. We are a two-form entry Independent Church of England Preparatory School in the heart of Britain’s Happiest Place to live, Leigh on Sea. We’re looking for a full-time Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCo) with a proven track record of improving standards and raising pupil outcomes. As an experienced SENDCo, you will ensure that our exciting curriculum is tailored to suit every type of learner where possible and have the resolve to make a real difference to the lives of our young people. The successful candidate will be a committed team player with excellent organisational and motivational skills.
You will be in sympathy with the ethos of a Christian School, and have:
- A degree-level qualification and Qualified Teacher Status in addition to a SENDCo qualification
- Track record of delivering ‘outstanding’ teaching.
- Understanding of strategies for meeting the needs of pupils with SEND
- Good knowledge and understanding of the statutory requirements of legislation concerning safeguarding, equal opportunities, Health and Safety and SEN.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the SEND Code of Practice and The Engagement Model and practical application strategies for meeting the special educational needs of students in a mixed ability classroom.
- The confidence to practically support children in the classroom in addition to supporting our team of teachers with planning during their PPA.
- Working knowledge of EYFS and early childhood development
- Knowledge of effective teaching and learning styles and how they can be used effectively for individual children (Nursery to Year 6).
- Good planning and organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, the ability to work as part of a team and liaising effectively with other staff.
- Flexibility in your working day and be willing to cover classes if needed, lead group work with children and work in collaboration.
- Resilience and the ability to work under pressure.
- A creative approach with the ability to look at improved ways of working.
- The ability to communicate with parents effectively, showing appropriate sensitivity when discussing SEND combined with the ability to be constructive in relaying support that could benefit a child with SEND.
- Excellent ICT skills
If you wish to apply, please complete the online application form (found at here) and email a supporting statement describing what has attracted you to this post and your reasons for applying, the skills and attributes which you believe demonstrate that you meet the requirements detailed in the Job Profile and Person Specification, and your educational philosophy and what motivates you to work with children. If you would prefer a hard copy of the application form, please contact the Headmaster's PA, Sarah Paterson, on 01702 416311.
St. Michael’s CofE Preparatory School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with current and past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Registered Charity No. 280688