St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London.
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 360 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
We are looking to appoint a well qualified, experienced teacher (any subject considered) with the capacity to motivate and lead both staff and pupils, working and living in our UIV (Year 9) Boarding House, St Cecilia’s. This is an exciting and challenging role within the framework of an outstanding and highly motivated pastoral team and also encompasses the role of Head of Year.
There are seven Boarding Houses at St Mary’s Calne. All girls in the same year are housed together, giving maximum opportunities for making friends and enjoying social activities within the year group. St Cecilia’s has a capacity for approximately 60 girls from the UK and many international locations. It is a key house and main admissions point at 13+ in a vibrant and modern full boarding community.
At St Mary’s Calne, each House is managed by a Housemistress/master (HsM) who is responsible to the Headmistress, via the Deputy Head Pastoral. HsMs teach a reduced timetable of 0.5 FTE.
First and foremost, HsMs are responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom they are responsible, or with whom they come into contact. HsMs are expected to be flexible, energetic, possess a good sense of humour and have the ability to be calm, firm and cheerful in dealing with adolescents. They will be confident in their ability to forge positive relationships with parents and guardians and will not only be an adaptable and supportive member of a team, but also able to work independently.
The HsM manages efficiently the staffing, organisation and resources of the House, and provides for the safety, good discipline and pastoral wellbeing of all the girls in the House. In addition to the House Team, HsMs liaise internally with academic and pastoral staff as well as with all the other support teams within the school, including the admissions, medical, domestic and bursarial departments.
The HsM is a leader within the school community and therefore is expected to support the setting of high standards of behaviour, and to help promote the School by taking an active role at all prospective parents’ events.
What we want from you
• University Graduate (any subject considered), with QTS
• Ability to provide vision and leadership in a Boarding House
• Ability to manage resources and work flexibly within the team
• Excellent organisational and communication skills
• Motivation to work with young people
• Positive attitude and approach to change and development
• Willingness to participate in and an expectation of contribution to the wider life of the boarding and extra curricular provision
• The ability to tutor girls and be pastorally aware of their needs
• A BSA qualification (desirable)
What we offer
• Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school
• Highly motivated girls with lessons taught in small groups
• Competitive salary and membership of the Teacher Pension Scheme
• Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre
• Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School
• Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time
• Free on-site parking
How to Apply
For an Application Form please visit Vacancies on our website www.stmaryscalne.org
Telephone: 01249 857200 (Karen Turner)
Closing date: Midday, Friday 4th December 2020