CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: WEDNESDAY 01 APRIL 2020
Job Title: Head of Information Technology & Digital Strategy
Reporting to: Head of Finance and Estates
Job Purpose: The IT Manager will be responsible to:
• Manage resources and processes required to design, plan, and support all information products and services
• Research and evaluate new technologies to be used as enhancements or upgrades to existing server, network, and other IT infrastructure equipment
• Prepare, maintain and keep updated IT procedures and documentation related to our processes and platforms operations
Queen Mary’s School is a Christian community that values, nurtures and respects every individual. A place where all are challenged to do their best, serve others, show compassion and act with integrity.
Queen Mary’s School…
• Strives for excellence in every endeavour
• Loves life and enjoys learning
• Nurtures spirituality and personal growth
• Respects individuality and embraces diversity
• Enhances character and builds resilience
• Creates independent young people
• Makes strong and lasting friendships
Queen Mary's School is an all girls’ independent boarding and day school situated in beautiful countryside, between Ripon and Thirsk. Junction 49 of the A1 is about 2 miles away. Founded in 1925, the school was originally situated at Duncombe Park, but moved to its present site in 1985. Baldersby Park, the school's current home, is a Grade 1 listed building surrounded by 40 acres of landscaped grounds, sports fields and paddocks.
There is a co-ed pre-prep department and the main school is for girls only and spans the age range 7 to 16. Whilst a few girls are prepared for Common Entrance at 11, 12 and 13+, most girls stay on and do GCSEs, before moving to new schools and colleges for the sixth form.
The School has a strong boarding tradition; however, the School is also attracting an increasing number of day girls and those who board one or two nights each week. Many of the girls who travel to school daily use the school minibus service.
Queen Mary’s has a unique family atmosphere with friendliness and concern for others being an important part of the School's ethos. It is one of a group of 43 schools belonging to the Woodard Corporation, an Anglican foundation that promotes Christian education and high academic and pastoral standards within all its schools. All members of staff are expected to be in sympathy with the aims and ethos of the School.
More information about Queen Mary's can be obtained from the website www.queenmarys.org.
Support Staff – Head of Information Technology & Digital Strategy
Reporting to the Head of Finance and Estates and the Deputy Head, who are members of the School’s Leadership Team, and ultimately to the Head.
Information Technology Strategy at Queen Mary’s
The appointee will oversee the complete overhaul of the School's IT infrastructure, take the lead in the formulation and implementation of a digital strategy and development programme which will ensure that the School has a fully effective range of information technology systems at all times.
The Head of Information Technology & Digital Strategy will report to the Head and be able to present development plans and reports to the Leadership Team and Governors.
Provide technical expertise, leadership, creativity and problem solving skills. Safeguard, develop and protect” the School from a digital security perspective. Develop a multi-layer security policy and solution that does not restrict the School’s ability to operate but does protect children, staff, and data from internal and external threats.
The rewards will include the ability to direct a new approach to digital learning, development and implementation of the IT curriculum and, business support which will be at the cutting edge of the sector.
• Health and performance monitoring of the used technology
• Monitoring the IT department performances and recruiting
• Negotiate with Vendors and Contractors
• IT disaster recovery plan design
• Being able to develop and maintain the Computing and ICT curriculum technical specification
• Actively seeks implementing/incorporating new technology in the School whether it is education, administration or performances with AV support
• take ownership of the formulation and delivery of digital strategy at Queen Mary’s
• advise the Head, Leadership Team and Governors on digital and technological developments to ensure that QMS stays at the forefront of educational and business information and communication technology
• arrange and provide appropriate training for staff in the use of ICT in classrooms, laboratories, studios and offices
• plan, build, develop and maintain the school's ICT infrastructure
• take responsibility for the delivery of all data/information management systems within the school
• provide SQL programming expertise to service MS reporting systems
• maintain fully operational multi-vendor video conference solutions such as Skype, Face Time… access across the school
• manage the technical delivery of QMS's website, requiring HTML and Java programming skills and knowledge of other multi-media software
• demonstrate understanding of and support for ICT requirements in teaching and learning
• day to day support of Academic, Pastoral and Business ICT needs of the school community (girls, staff, parents and governors)
• provide guidance in the use of ICT for girls with specific educational needs, supporting their use of technology and use of computers and software for examinations
• arrange and review suitable monitoring systems regarding ICT use and/or abuse within the school
• demonstrate an understanding and awareness of E-safety and seek to become a CEOP Ambassador and provide training and presentations to girls, staff, parents and governors
• provide education about responsible usage of the internet to girls and staff
• design and maintain a documented inventory of all aspects of QMS’s IT, including network diagrams, licensing information, user access inventory, asset tracking
• develop and highlight an asset/solution replacement plan including transition, technical, implementation planning and budget impact assessment in relation to social media
• assist the Head of Marketing and Admissions in the use of social media for marketing the school
• provide secure protection of digital data in line with the school's Data Protection policy and oversee data protection within the School as the Data Protection Controller
• provide the high level of confidentiality required in this senior position
• manage and provide the School's ICT support
• provide ICT applications, computing & programming courses for girls and staff
• develop and manage support for digital archiving of school data and records
• plan, develop and maintain the School's telephone network, having a strategic understanding of VolP and wireless/mobile
• play an active role in developing school communications
• attend such courses as required to develop technical, managerial and educational expertise in the role
• manage IT expenditure within agreed budgets, providing quotations and negotiating deals as necessary for data assurance and protection
• ensure accountability for the services, resources and information in line with QMS's stated aims and ethos
• undertake health and safety audits, duties and responsibilities appropriate to the post to ensure satisfactory standards of health, safety and security are maintained in accordance with QMS's legal obligations
Please see the attached job description for full details