The Headmaster is looking to appoint a native French speaker for 8 periods per week:
• To provide regular opportunities for students at KS3/4/5 to speak individually or in small groups with a native French speaker.
• To support students in developing and practising languages skills necessary for the speaking examinations.
The MFL Department takes pride in their teaching, and the results are consistently very good. The Department follows the AQA GCSE French and Spanish specifications at KS4 and AQA French and Spanish specifications at A-level. Able linguists are encouraged to take two languages at GCSE, and most students are encouraged to take at least one MFL option, which means that numbers are healthy both at GCSE and again at A-level. The Department runs an annual Second Form residential trip to Normandy. There are plans for the running of further trips to France.
Successful candidates would find the Department a happy and very supportive one in which to work. It consists of three full-time members of staff who work closely with the external ‘language conversation assistant’.
The following duties shall be deemed to be included in the professional duties which a language assistant may be required to perform:
• Under direction of MFL teaching staff, to take responsibility for weekly speaking lessons with individual students and/or small groups, amounting to 8 periods per week.
• To provide topic-related materials that will stimulate discussion.
• To ensure that lessons follow the relevant examination topics.
• To ensure that lessons are conducted predominantly in French.
• To work with the teacher in the classroom to support individual students.
• To work on your own with small groups of pupils or in the forum of one to one tuition.
• To help prepare pupils for oral and written examinations.
• To contribute to a French project if necessary.
• To communicate effectively and regularly with the Head of Department to ensure the smooth running of the speaking sessions.
• To contribute to reports about student performance.
• Under direction of MFL teaching staff, to practise specific examination skills and conduct practice examinations with individual students.
• Native speaker of French
• Good command of English
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain excellent professional relationships with all staff and students
• Ability to engage students in discussion
• Willingness and ability to work to examination criteria
• Ability to work effectively and supportively as a member of the School team
• Professional presentation and manner
• Be able to work unsupervised using own initiative.
• Familiarity with MFL examination topics and requirements
• Experience of working with A-level students
• Have a flexible approach to working with students and staff
The Selection Process
Applications are to be made using the School’s application form, available from the School website. Any queries regarding the application process should be directed to the Deputy Head (Staff) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates will be invited to spend time at the School and to meet the Head and Deputy Heads as well as the members of the MFL Department.