Job Description: Deputy Head (Pastoral)
Responsible To: Headmaster
Hours of Work: Full time, as necessary for successful fulfilment of role
Job Location: Caldicott School, Farnham Royal
Salary: By negotiation, according to experience
Direct Reports: Heads of Year, DDSL & Induction Tutors (+ NQTs)
Start date: 1st January 2021
JOB CONTEXT AND PURPOSE
Caldicott is one of the country’s most prestigious Independent Boarding and Day Preparatory School for Boys. We are a flourishing school with around 250 boys from 7 to 13 years old, with all boys weekly boarding in the final two years. We deliver a first class education, sporting provision and a rich variety of music, drama, arts and extracurricular opportunities in a friendly and supportive working environment.
The Deputy Head (Pastoral) is a key member of the Senior Leadership Team of the school. The Deputy Head (Pastoral) ensures that the School has the pastoral, safeguarding and professional practices to the high standards necessary to enable Caldicott boys to meet their full potential to gain entry to top senior schools and staff flourish in a supportive environment.
This role is undertaken in addition to the school’s standard duties and responsibilities for all teaching positions.
The Deputy Head (Pastoral) is required to live in the attractive property allocated to this post.
Caldicott is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
CORE AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The following core areas of responsibility are not exhaustive and will be subject to development and adaptation in accordance with the changing and developing needs of the school. The incumbent will assume joint responsibility for the development of the role and remit with the Headmaster.
A. Collaboration with Senior Leadership Team (SLT):
1) To work closely with the Headmaster to ensure the highest standards of behaviour and attainment across the school.
2) To work in close collaboration with the Headmaster, Senior Deputy Head (Academic) and Deputy Head (Management) to ensure the whole school operates within compliance standards and our wellbeing agenda.
B. Leadership and Strategy Delivery:
1) Be an active member of the School’s Senior Leadership Team, passionate about school improvement, strategy and performance review.
2) Willingly engage in an interface with the Board of Governors and their sub-committees, as requested by the Headmaster.
C. Line Management:
1) Heads of Year
2) Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead.
3) Induction Tutors and NQTs
D. Oversight of day-to-day delivery of duty of care to children:
1) Leadership and development of our culture of safeguarding pupil wellbeing
2) Ensure Caldicott is a beacon of safeguarding excellence, sharing best practice with other schools
3) Fulfil the role of Designated Safeguarding Lead for safeguarding and child protection
4) Chair the Safeguarding and Pastoral Committees (or equivalent)
5) Ensure a close and mutually beneficial working relationship with the Head of Boarding
6) Ensure a close and mutually beneficial working relationship with the Head of Learning Support
7) Be available to support the Headmaster and HR manager on historic issues management
8) Management of:
• Pastoral standards and implementation
• Pastoral staff – coaching, line management, performance management and role modelling
• Pupil involvement through groups / forums
• Reporting, Identification and escalation of issues, problem solving
• Communication with parents and guardians
E. IStip (Independent Schools Teacher Induction Panel)
1) Ensure that the statutory guidance, as laid out by the Department for Education, is followed.
2) Ensure the Headmaster and Board of Governors fulfil their duties
3) Work closely with the Senior Deputy Head (Academic) specifically with regard timetable and NQT performance.
1) Maintain or acquire qualified Inspector status
2) Keep SLT informed of all ISI updates
G. Teaching Staff Performance, Development and Management:
1) Working closely with the HR Manager, lead and deliver a highly effective teacher appraisal process that encompasses all areas of teacher performance including staff Code of Conduct.
2) Ensure each participant has SMART targets set that are endorsed by the Senior Deputy Head (Academic)
3) Support the Senior Deputy Head (Academic) with regards the yearly cycle of INSET.
• As a passionate teacher, deliver a fair teaching timetable that will be reduced to allow for other responsibilities.
• To work within school procedures and codes of practice.
• To undertake such other duties as are agreed to being in keeping with the general nature of the role.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
All other terms and conditions are those as referred to in your letter of appointment and contract.
Job Description Updated: April 2020