Merchant Taylors' are a famous family of Schools, each with an enviable reputation on Merseyside, throughout the North West of England, and nationwide. They consist of a Mixed Infants and Junior Girls' School (Stanfield), a Junior Boys' School, and two single-sex Senior Schools.
About the school
Visitors to Merchant Taylors' Girls' School regularly comment on the extraordinary warmth which emanates from the relationships between staff and pupils. Our single-sex environment actively encourages the girls to express themselves, seek help if needed, practise leadership skills and always strive to fulfil their full potential. Although our exam results consistently top the Merseyside and North West leader boards, we know that exceptional results aren’t just what we want our girls to leave us with. We also give the girls many opportunities to develop essential life skills such as independent learning, teamwork, determination, flexibility and problem solving.
We pride ourselves on our pastoral system which is based on a traditional structure of four small form groups within each year. These are led by Heads of Year and supported by our School Nurse, Pastoral Counsellors and Student Peer Mentors. We encourage the girls to develop self-discipline, personal responsibility and a clear moral code, but at the same time we value kindness, friendliness, generosity and a respect for others.
Our charity record is as impressive as our enrichment programme is extensive. We have an exciting calendar of dramatic and musical events throughout the year. Joint productions with the Senior Boys’ School just down the road from us are always well attended by the local community, and drama festivals, choral concerts, recitals and master classes all create opportunities for performers to showcase their talent. A motivational PE department encourages girls to participate and excel in a range of sports, and we dominate the local leagues alongside competing at county and national level. Other extracurricular activities include:
• Duke of Edinburgh Awards (Bronze, Silver and Gold)
• Combined Cadet Force (CCF)
• Boating Club
• Harrison Group for Gifted and Talented pupils
• Joint School musical and dramatic productions
• Netball, hockey, cross country, swimming and tennis
• Performing Arts evenings with Gymnastics and Dance
• A rich music department which runs a Saturday morning music school, annual music tours abroad, a Chamber choir, a Senior orchestra, a Chamber orchestra, school music competitions, jazz/flute/string/clarinet ensembles, a cello quartet, individual instrumental lessons and provides plenty of opportunity to perform throughout the year.
• Various trips abroad for most subjects, including Geography trips to Iceland, Classics trips to Greece, Biology trips to South America and many sports tours.
Our all-round activities are designed to develop well-rounded individuals - caring, confident citizens who 'learn by doing' and in doing so have fun!