To help schools develop their communications skills, Attain Inspire was a one-day workshop designed to improve creativity and highlight new ideas and thinking covering everything from working with the press, developing media strategies and enhancing a school's communications output to maximise success. The event took place on 4th February 2020.
The workshop day was run by Matthew Smith, Editor of Attain and Rachel Kerr, Communications Manager for the Girls' Schools Association (GSA). Our two keynote speakers were:
- Richard Adams, Education Editor, The Guardian
- Samantha Harman, Editor, Oxford Mail & Oxford Times
Attain Inspire took place on Tuesday 4th February 2020 at Oxford Town Hall, offering inspiration and creative ideas to help schools improve their communications.
Even seasoned communications professionals can overlook things and the event reminded delegates of the importance of writing effective copy and providing journalists with the information they require. It looked at both local and national media, the development of media strategies and how schools can become a trusted source for comment and opinion. Topics covered included:
· What makes a good news story
· Understanding what journalists need
· Choosing the right photographs
· Ensuring your press release has impact
· Working with the local media, specialist magazines and publications
· Working with the national press
· Understanding national media priorities
· The risks when developing a national profile
· Deciding where to add value and becoming a trusted source
· Developing media strategies
During the course of the day we also highlighted key features of Pressburst which enable delegates to save time and improve the quality of their output.
If you would like to register your interest in future events from Attain, please let us know via email@example.com