Birkdale Prep is a school designed for boys. It is the only school in Sheffield specialising in quality education and care for boys aged 4-11. Single sex education offers a nurturing environment where boys have the freedom to explore their individual interests and identities.
Offering an all-round education, we balance academic attainment with a diversity of experiences outside the classroom which inspire boys to enjoy learning and school life generally.
It is a busy, stimulating environment where each boy is valued and cared for. Great emphasis is also put on personal, spiritual and emotional development, developing boys to be happy and confident. Pupils respect each other and have excellent relationships with their teachers. Pastoral care is not an add-on at Birkdale, as a Christian school we believe that every boy is unique and special.
Birkdale boys are provided with many opportunities in a wide range of interests including sport, music and drama.
• Academically we excel. It is “cool to be clever” at Birkdale. Setting from Y5 allows each boy to be individually supported and targets are set for academic growth. Nearly all of our Prep School boys are offered a place at Birkdale Senior School, which achieves some of the best exam results in the region.
• Sport plays an important part of the curriculum with regular PE and Games lessons. Boys also benefit from our outstanding sports facilities at Castle Dyke and enjoy playing fixtures against some of the top schools in the region.
• Musical talents flourish throughout the Prep School through timetabled Music lessons and a multitude of opportunities to play in school bands and ensembles.
• Drama also features in the timetable for all pupils with opportunities for boys to perform in a variety of school productions.
• Residential trips are introduced in Y4 which are full of fun, adventure and reinforce work done within school.
• Over 30 clubs and societies are available, at lunchtimes and after school.
Birkdale is a family school in every sense which extends beyond the school day, with flexible before and after school care designed to meet the needs of busy working parents. Boys can be looked after from 7.45am at Breakfast Club until 5.30pm.